Gluten free Stuffing recipe
GLUTEN FREE, LOW CALORIE STUFFING
Made this a couple years ago- this recipe is easily adaptable according to your health and flavor preferences!
Makes enough to stuff a 12 to 14-pound turkey. You can easily halve the recipe to use with a
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutesIngredients:
• 1 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
• Optional:16 ounces chicken sausage, (sage-flavored)
• 2 cups chicken broth (2 1/2 if omitting the sausage)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 4 large celery ribs, diced
• 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
• Salt to taste
• Fresh ground black pepper to taste
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only, stems discarded
• 1-1/4 cups uncooked wild rice, cooked according to package directions
• 1-1/4 cups uncooked long-grain brown or white rice, cooked according to package directions
• 1/2 cup dried cranberriesPreparation:
Place walnuts in a dry, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes until nuts are toasted golden brown. Let cool.
Brown sausage in a large, heavy skillet over high heat, stirring often to break it up. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
Heat oil in the same skillet with the sausage drippings. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Saute until tender. Remove from heat and stir in thyme. Let cool and add to the bowl with the sausage.
Add toasted nuts, wild rice, brown rice, and cranberries to the sausage and vegetables. Toss well to mix.
This makes 12 to 14 cups of stuffing, enough to stuff a 12 to 14-pound turkey. Do not stuff the turkey until you are ready to put it in the oven. The stuffing may be made in advance and refrigerated. Bring stuffing to room temperature before adding to the bird.
Yield: 12 servings
• Servings Per Recipe: 16
• Amount Per Serving
• Calories: 106-150 (depending on sausage)
• Total Fat: 1.4 g
• Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
• Sodium: 406.4 mg
• Total Carbs: 20.3 g
• Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g
• Protein: 2.8 g